13 July 2011

Another Visit from Friends: Spaghetti and Meatball

Even though my husband is not the most social of people -he'd rather read a book than go out- he has many friends, some of whom he's known since high school. When my husband and I started dating seriously, I was fortunate enough to meet some of these people, and I now call many of them my friends, too.

One of his friends is nicknamed Meatball. I always forget how funny this nickname is to others until I use it, and someone giggles. I know his real name, but Meatball is how I was introduced to him, and it's what I'll call him.

Lately, Meatball has stopped by our place just to chat, or to refer us to folks who can trim trees or provide other house related services. He's been in the contracting and maintenance business for a very long time, so in addition to being a great friend, he's a great resource.

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting at my laptop doing some work and reading some of my favorite online papers and blogs when I hear a timid knock on my office door. I thought this was odd, as my door is usually open to family. When I opened it, I saw dad peeking in.

Me: What's up, dad?
Dad: Your friend is here?
Me: What friend? (trying to imagine who'd be stopping by at that time of day)
Dad: You know, that short guy.
Me: Huh?
Dad: Spaghetti!
Me: ...(quizzical look)
Dad: Whatever you call him! Spaghetti?
Me: Oh! Meatball! Ok, thanks dad.
Dad: Yeah, Meatball. Whatever.

Considering my previous post about M and L, and this one about "Spaghetti," I'm going to have to stop letting dad answer the door. On second thought, it does make for some rather amusing posts, so maybe I'll just sit back, watch my dad try to figure us all out, and giggle at my friends' bewildered looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment